Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
anorton anorton is offline

Default How to unbraze silver buttons from copper switchgear contacts

On 2012-01-22, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus6092 wrote:

I have a couple of medium voltage switchgear contacts, with seemingly
silver buttons brazed to them. I have a little heat treating oven. How
can I use it to unbraze the buttons, to what temperature should I set
it?
Man! Without knowing a bunch about the silver alloy and the brazing
alloy, it is pretty hard to know what would be the magic temperature.
If you had a barrel of them, you could do a couple tests to find
the temp.

I only have two, I would say I can make 1-1.5 ounce of silver from the
contacts.

In that case, it may be possible to saw off the back part, and then
grind a bit until you hit the silver layer from the back. That will
get the silver out no matter how the thing was made.

Jon

Grinding copper is mnot exactly fun, do not ask me how I know.

Of course you do not want to grind copper or other soft metals; they will
just mess up your stone. But sanding with a belt sander works pretty well if
you do not try to remove material too quickly (otherwise the paper heats up
too much.)