Posted to alt.home.repair
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

Default How can I tell whether speaker wire is 14 gauge?

On Jan 22, 3:53*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 08:44:16 -0800 (PST),ChrisCoaster

wrote:
On Jan 21, 9:09*am, "Dave M." wrote:
Robert,

* *I own a wire stripper which is a series of holes, each marked with the
gauge. Such strippers are quite common. I'd strip the wire and then pass it
through the various holes until I got a close fit. That should be the gauge,
near about. The difference between 18 and 14 should be obvious.
* *My tool is a stripper, cutter, crimper, et c. multi-tool.

Dave M.

_________________
The general form factor of mine:
http://www.crimping-tool.com/Cable-C...e-cutter-and-w...

Strange, I have to use 16AWG slot to avoid stripping strands from
18AWG copper and 14AWG slot to avoid stripping strands from 16AWG and
so on.

-CC

The overall size of a stranded wire of a given guage varies WIDELY
depending on the composition of the conductor. Many fine strands is
smaller for the same circular mills cross-section than a few heavier
strands - and ALL stranded wire will be at least a SMALL amount larger
than solid conductor of the same guage.- Hide quoted text -

Hence the markings on my stripper - "14AWG Solid insert conductor
here16AWG Strd"
Next ratchet: "12AWG Solid 14WG Strd" (this is the one I
have to use to strip 16AWG stranded and not see any copper come off
with the insulator)

-CC