Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adjustments on large pre-WW2 Hot Water Finned Radiators

On Jan 22, 2:07*pm, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 10:12:31 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:

How useful it is or isn't depends on what the application
needs. *As I recall we were discussing how to get the most
heat out of a radiator or heat exchanger. *And you do that
by moving the MOST airflow possible past it until you reach
the point where the air and water exiting are at the same
temperature. *Then you have extracted all the heat possible
and further increases in airflow don't produce any further
increase in heat. * It's really very simple physics and it
works the same for the heat exchanger, a home radiator, a car
radiator, etc.

All your physics is correct.
What's that got to do with harry?

Harry's physics is totally wrong, that's the problem.
He doesn't understand the difference between
heat and temperature, as evidenced by nonsense
such as this:

" There is only so much radiation falling on the solar heater. If
you
want to get the maximum energy out of it you pass the water through it
as slow as possible to achieve the highest temperature.

So, he thinks you get more heat out of the solar array
by passing a pint of water through it and getting a pint
of say 160F water instead of 10 gallons of 100F water.
He continously confuses temperature with heat and
doesn't account for MASS in anything.

I once mentioned I cranked down the gas supply on my old boiler
because it was throwing massive heat up the chimney.
The burners were obviously overpowering the heat exchanger
capacity to absorb heat.

It was an old thing designed when NG was dirt cheap.
Of course I adjusted air to the flame and had good flame, and of
course cycle-on increased.
But my gas usage decreased.
harry still didn't like that.

Funny thing in all this is that he has the nerve to
constantly carp about the US and claim that we
don't have efficient furnaces, boilers, etc. Yet
it's clear he doesn't even understand high school
physics. In fact, for most of what I've tried to
explain to him, just practical everyday experience
is all you need.

I always wanted a small fan across my radiator fins when I had hot
water heat, to aid convection. *Never did it though.
Too much work, and they worked well enough.

--Vic

Nah, couldn't be. According to harry, you get the most
heat when the air from that radiator is hottest. You
should put a box around it.