Lawrence R Horgan

Default How Wide Should an Outfeed Table be?

Jay,
Your choice of outfeed tables boils down to, basically, one question: What
kind of work will you be doing?
If you're working with large sheet material, an out feed table extending to
the right and rear of the saw will help immensely. In fact, once you work
with a large outfeed table, it's hard to go back.
If you're going to be making small projects, then you may not need an out
feed at all. BUT, you will almost invariably find the need for an outfeed
(at least directly behind the main table) at some point.
In summary, if you can spare the room, build the biggest outfield table you
can.

Larry

--
Americans

"Jay Chan" wrote in message
om...
I am planning to add an outfeed table to my table saw. I am wondering
how wide I should make the outfeed table.

My table saw has three sides: The center that is where the saw blade
and the two tracks are, the left wing, and the right wing. I can
understand the benefit of having outfeed table to cover the center
area, and the left wing. But I don't understand why I may need to
extend the outfeed table to cover the right wing of my table saw. Is
that mainly good for left handed people?

I guess I can use the large outfeed table to double as an assembling
table. But I don't have a pressing need for such a large assembling
table.

I may need to run a flex hose over that area. That is the reason why I
don't want to extend the outfeed table to cover that area. But I want
to know what I may miss in order to know the trade-off.

Thanks.

Jay Chan