Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default hardwood floor refinish

Evan wrote in news:335e3d21-69ba-477b-
:

On Jan 20, 11:31*pm, Craig E wrote:
Why do you say stripping is worse than sanding? I'm trying to avoid
kicking sand on the walls, and most importantly, using a sander
incorrectly. The floors are even, so I'm hoping the poly could bond
after the gel was used.

@ Craig E:

Dude, this is CLEARLY way beyond your skill level...

You don't use stripper on wood flooring because no matter how much
the can promises it won't stain it will soak into the pores of the
wood
and chemically react with whatever finish you apply to the floor when
you are done causing, you guessed right: stains...

Sanding to remove old finish won't "kick sand on the walls" and you
definitely wouldn't be able to use the typical drum sanding type
machine that the experienced contractors would use, however there
are machines which are easier to use for the DIY type person...

U-Sand machines have 4x 6" random orbital sander heads mounted
on a frame with a dust collection system...

http://www.u-sand.com/default.aspx

See the machine in action in this video clip from ATOH:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...238933,00.html

In order to properly apply the stainable wood filler to deal with any
cracks or gaps you need to sand down to bare wood...

You need to lightly sand between coats of finish anyway otherwise
the layers won't be able to bond to each other...

Seriously, you either need to find a local rental for a U-Sand
machine or get used to the idea of spending hours down on the
floor with a single small orbital sander doing it up close and
personal...

You might want to consider hiring someone who knows what
they are doing on this one...

~~ Evan

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...238933,00.html

That machine is absolutely awesome and easy. Once started, you can guide
it with a few fingers. No digging like the tragic drum sander stories.
The heavy weight of the machine along with the 4 rotating disks does the
work. Edges very close in itself. I rented it from the Home Depot.