Posted to rec.woodworking
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default Another Nail Gun Incident

In ,
-MIKE- typed:
On 1/21/12 2:05 PM, wrote:
On Jan 21, 10:12 am, wrote:
No matter how safe a tool might be, there's
always going to be someone who finds a way to make that
tool dangerous.

So you consider a pneumatic nail gun to be a safe tool? A tool that can
fire a 1-3" steel nail or staple at 100+
mph 1-3" deep into wood is safe. Apparently there are
no dangerous tools in the world.

Every tool is dangerous and must be respected..... and
used in the safest way.

I watched a video of this guy talking about the accident.
It was very apparent that he used the nail gun in the
same very dangerous manner in which I see lots of guys
using them. They keep their fingers on the trigger,
pulling, and allow the "safety" tip to do the firing.
That is how most injuries from "misfires" happen. Most
are not misfires at all, they are just "fires" because
idiots keep the trigger pulled.
If the gummint wants to regulate any kind of safety
device for nail guns, they should make it so the trigger
has to be released before the safety tip can be
depressed. I'm fairly certain I've used guns like that
before.

Agreed. I wasn't aware they could fire by simply holding the trigger
constantly and lettinig the safety tip do the firing. On mine and any I've
ever seen, if you hold the trigger, it shoots the nail but won't shoot
another one until the safety has been reset and the trigger released and
repulled.
But then the age/design/brand of the nail gun wasn't mentioned either,
along with any details on how one would get a gun at that angle and still
fire it. But I'm sure anything is possible.