Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Another Nail Gun Incident

On 1/21/12 2:05 PM, wrote:
On Jan 21, 10:12 am, wrote:
No matter how safe a tool might be, there's
always going to be someone who finds a way to make that tool
dangerous.

So you consider a pneumatic nail gun to be a safe tool? A tool that
can fire a 1-3" steel nail or staple at 100+ mph 1-3" deep into wood
is safe. Apparently there are no dangerous tools in the world.

Every tool is dangerous and must be respected..... and used in the
safest way.

I watched a video of this guy talking about the accident. It was very
apparent that he used the nail gun in the same very dangerous manner in
which I see lots of guys using them. They keep their fingers on the
trigger, pulling, and allow the "safety" tip to do the firing. That is
how most injuries from "misfires" happen. Most are not misfires at all,
they are just "fires" because idiots keep the trigger pulled.

If the gummint wants to regulate any kind of safety device for nail
guns, they should make it so the trigger has to be released before the
safety tip can be depressed. I'm fairly certain I've used guns like that
before.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)