Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default hardwood floor refinish

Steve Barker wrote:
On 1/20/2012 11:00 PM, Craig E wrote:
On Jan 20, 7:21 pm, "hr(bob)
wrote:
On Jan 20, 8:54 pm, Craig wrote:

I had my floors professionally done six years ago. They looked
great for 4 years. Then I got two dogs...

Now, they still look barely good, they polyurethane is almost
gone. I know how to fill in some slight cracks with wood filler.

I'd like to do the refinish on my own, since I'm going to have a
good amount of wear and tear thanks to the dogs.

Could I just remove the polyurethane with a stripping gel and
re-apply the polyurethane? I'd like to avoid sanding. Thought I'd
check here before I tried it on small area...

For starters, how many square feet have to be done, is it in an area
where you could open the windows or where you would rather not open
the windows? how much furniture would have to be moved, how long
could the room(s) be out of service?

Some sanding will be necessary as liquid or gel stripper still
needs a final smoothing. Do you have a belt sander, or could you
rent one?

I have about 800 sq. feet., but I'd just do room to room, so it's
small areas and no rush. If gel stripper needs a fine smoothing,
that would defeat the purpose. I could rent a belt sander, I'd just
need some help getting started. I'm trying to avoid using it if
possible.

if you rent the orbital floor sander (as opposed to the drum) you
can't really mess it up. It'll take longer, however. But if you're
just wanting to refinish and not necessarily go all the way to the
wood, that may be the right tool anyway. A hand held belt sander is
NOT the right tool.

Agreed. I'd suggest the big flat sander rather than either belt or orbital
(if he is talking about a small orbital). The one with a plate around 12" x
18". With a fine screen rather than paper with grit. You definitely do NOT
want a belt sander, either hand held (too slow) or floor type (unless you
are used to using one you will dig divots into your floor).

Note that if you are putting on more than one coat of poly you will have to
either sand between coats - OR - apply additional ones after the first has
set but before it cures. About 4 hours between coats to avoid sanding.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...