Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default hardwood floor refinish

On 1/20/2012 9:54 PM, Craig E wrote:
I had my floors professionally done six years ago. They looked great
for 4 years. Then I got two dogs...

Now, they still look barely good, they polyurethane is almost gone. I
know how to fill in some slight cracks with wood filler.

I'd like to do the refinish on my own, since I'm going to have a good
amount of wear and tear thanks to the dogs.

Could I just remove the polyurethane with a stripping gel and re-apply
the polyurethane? I'd like to avoid sanding. Thought I'd check here
before I tried it on small area...

I would hate to strip or sand a floor with the finish intact. What was
"professionally done" six years ago....new floor or refinish? If the
floor is smooth and even, dulling the old finish with steel wool might
be easier....is there a floor shop that can give you estimates? Even
so, keeping everyone and two dogs off the floor for days won't be easy.
I've done lots of furniture refinishing and it seems a floor, if
completely stripped, would need at least three coats. One or two if not
stripped?