Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hardwood floor refinish

On Jan 20, 8:54*pm, Craig E wrote:
I had my floors professionally done six years ago. They looked great
for 4 years. Then I got two dogs...

Now, they still look barely good, they polyurethane is almost gone. I
know how to fill in some slight cracks with wood filler.

I'd like to do the refinish on my own, since I'm going to have a good
amount of wear and tear thanks to the dogs.

Could I just remove the polyurethane with a stripping gel and re-apply
the polyurethane? I'd like to avoid sanding. Thought I'd check here
before I tried it on small area...

For starters, how many square feet have to be done, is it in an area
where you could open the windows or where you would rather not open
the windows? how much furniture would have to be moved, how long
could the room(s) be out of service?

Some sanding will be necessary as liquid or gel stripper still needs a
final smoothing. Do you have a belt sander, or could you rent one?