Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default looking for source of cheap square drive screws

On 1/20/2012 1:00 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 11:03:58 -0600, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/20/2012 9:37 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
Have you ever had a drawer glide screw "crap out on you"?
How dey do dat?

If you deal with many Philips washer head drawer slide screws you know
that the indentation in the screw head is shallow. This greatly
increases cam out potential and these things tend to be a pretty cheaply
made screw so they the heads strip out or break off pretty easily. When
you are reaching and balancing on your knees a perfect fit between the
bit and the screw are marginal at best.

Heads breaking off and stripping out are usually either A) the result
of an overtorque situation (so set your torque less on the driver) or
B) the wrong bit for the screw or C) a bad angle on the drive. All are
pretty easily corrected. When I see that happening to me, I usually
try to pay a bit more attention to WTF I'm doing.

Clueless?