Andy Dingley

Default Choice of dovetail jig

On 5 Nov 2003 07:44:15 -0600, Rick wrote:

I am just starting to get into woodworking

Given the choice, which [dovetail jig] would you go for?

Neither. I really don't see dovetail jigs high up the list of things
to buy.

What are you making ? Why does it need dovetails ? strength or
beauty? What thickness(es) of timber are you going to use ?

IMHO, the dovetail is a joint for things that last a few centuries, so
that they still hold together when the glue fails. It's a high quality
joint, for high quality work. If you start to look seriously at
dovetails, you start to appreciate the quality of really good hand-cut
ones. It's hard to cut good dovetails by router, it's impossible to
cut the finest shapes, and it requires a sophisticated jig to cut any
but the simplest.

So I only use dovetails on the good stuff, and if I use them, I cut
them by hand.

For "everyday" work, I might use the router. But it's biscuit jointed
butts, lock mitre cutters, drawer lock cutters or a finger joint at
most. Only rarely do I set a comb jig up and rout with a dovetail
cutter.

If you're spending money on a dovetail jig, then get either a cheap
one or a good one. A cheap one has fixed fingers and cuts " '50s
style" regular short stubby round-ended dovetails with little hassle.
But it's inflexible and rather ugly. A good one has adjustable
fingers and you'll use it with two cutters in two passes. Katy or
WoodRat are good at this level, although the Katy only works for thick
stock.

I barely use my (expensive) Incra. Useless for this sort of jointing -
it's a pain to use with any board wider than about 6".