Posted to rec.woodworking

Default looking for source of cheap square drive screws

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 06:53:45 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/19/2012 9:08 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 06:35:37 -0600, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/18/2012 8:24 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in
:

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 11:40:11 -0600, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet

Basically I can have to wiggle the driver and bit back and forth to work
it loose from the screw. This is a reap PIA when removing several
screws and they will not come loose from the driver bit.

The reason I asked if you were using an impact drill/driver is that
I've heard of some brands of Robertson screws misshapen slightly when
the impact driver is working. It causes the screw to grab tighter to
the bit.

Sometimes if the bit gets stuck in the screw head, all you have to do is
reverse the driver slightly. Usually releases the bit quite effectively.

Puckdropper

Unless you are removing the screw. ;~) This is really a PIA when
removing screws and cannot easily remove them from the bit.

Tap the screw sideways on a piece of scrap or the ground. It'll come
off. Or stick with phillips and/or torx.

Believe it or not I have tried that and that does not always work.
Typically I have to drive the screw into a scrap piece of wood and then
pull on the drill while working it back and forth. It is not an always
thing but it seems to happen when I am inside a cabinet.

I would never suggest that anyone use a flat blade type screwdriver.
AAMOF, I believe they've outlawed them in England now.heh

I never use a flat blade to insert a screw, I only use it to remove a
screw. If the screw needs to be replaced it is with a square drive
screw. Big flat blades drivers make decent pry bars in a pinch though.

Back when the flat screws were very common, one of the guys that
worked for my dad as an electrician used to drive the screws in with a
hammer. He said the head was just to remove the screw.