Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default looking for source of cheap square drive screws

On 1/20/2012 9:37 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 06:46:07 -0600, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/19/2012 9:04 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Let me explain it this way, imagine putting a drop of super glue in the
head of the screw and letting it cure with the bit inserted. It is that
tight of a fit. Pulling on the drill and bit does not separate
anything. Working the drill and bit back and forth 2~3 seconds finally
works the bit free of the screw. AND that is easier when driving
screws. Removing screws is a bigger problem.

Buy harder screws which don't tend to stick to the bit?

Well I think I am buying pretty hard screws, they seem to never misform
and I almost exclusively use McFeeleys and Kreg screws. I don't want
screws crapping out on me.

Have you ever had a drawer glide screw "crap out on you"?
How dey do dat?

If you deal with many Philips washer head drawer slide screws you know
that the indentation in the screw head is shallow. This greatly
increases cam out potential and these things tend to be a pretty cheaply
made screw so they the heads strip out or break off pretty easily. When
you are reaching and balancing on your knees a perfect fit between the
bit and the screw are marginal at best.