Posted to rec.woodworking

Default looking for source of cheap square drive screws

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 06:46:07 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/19/2012 9:04 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Let me explain it this way, imagine putting a drop of super glue in the
head of the screw and letting it cure with the bit inserted. It is that
tight of a fit. Pulling on the drill and bit does not separate
anything. Working the drill and bit back and forth 2~3 seconds finally
works the bit free of the screw. AND that is easier when driving
screws. Removing screws is a bigger problem.

Buy harder screws which don't tend to stick to the bit?

Well I think I am buying pretty hard screws, they seem to never misform
and I almost exclusively use McFeeleys and Kreg screws. I don't want
screws crapping out on me.

Have you ever had a drawer glide screw "crap out on you"?
How dey do dat?

On another note and response I mentioned that it may be the heat
generated that causes the screw to tighten up on the driver.

Which begs for a cheaper driver, which doesn't have the tight
tolerances kept by the screw mfgr or the good bit mfgr. There will be
no interference fit between the two.

--
I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during
my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty.