Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Adjustments on large pre-WW2 Hot Water Finned Radiators

On Jan 19, 1:15*pm, "
wrote:
On Jan 18, 2:23*pm, harry wrote:

On Jan 18, 1:40*pm, "
wrote:

On Jan 18, 2:50*am, harry wrote:

On Jan 17, 9:28*pm, ChrisCoaster wrote:

Title says it all - 1920s colonial with bulky radiators currently fed
by modern Burnham V8 Boiler.

General Description:
On the radiators themselves there are two types of adjustments(at
least they both *look like* adjustments): *A large knob close to the
floor at one end of each radiator. *And, two screws, one at each end
'fin', about 1/3rd way up from the bottom of the unit. See:http://www.salvosites.com/images/use...632_4.jpg(Look
carefully towards bottom - you will see screw I'm referring to) * At
top of fin on one end is the bleeder valve - no explanation necessary.

Question#1:
What is the "nominal" or "default" position of those knobs - I'm
assuming 1/2way. * That way rooms needing more heat can just be opened
up a little more and those needing less heat can be closed a little.
Currently, I have the units upstairs turned fully counter-clockwise -
Open as indicated on the knob-, and the units downstairs(closest to
the thermostat) halfway open. *Please advise.

Question#2:
What is function of the flat-head screws in each end-fin of each
radiator unit, and how should they be ajdusted.

Notes:
*Some of these radiators have received multiple coats of paint so
turning items in Q#2 will be difficult at best. *All radiators get
plenty hot, especially this past weekend with lows in the low teens,
and are evenly hot - no coldspots.

Thanks,

-ChrisCoaster

These are cast iron sectional radiators. *Very common in Europe and
prized by some people as antiques.
However, their performance is as good as anything you can get now.
Additionally they are vrry compactrelative to heat emitted.
They are still made in Europe for old buildings. The proceis
incredible.

The "fins" *are separate pieces assmbled by means of special "nipples
with right and left hand threads on each end.
At one end is a special section that has right and threads on both
sides.

The radiators were puprpose made for each room by assembling the
required number of sections with a special tool
There are four connections to each radiator, the unwanted ones are
blanked off with the hexagonal plugs.

The two valves. One is for balancing the system and should not be
touched.
The other is for controlling heat output by the occupier (ie you)

The small indent above the hex, plug on your picture is where a manual
air vent is fitted (undrilled on your picture), I assume it is on the
other end but it might be in the hex. plug.
You will need a key to operate this.

There may a corrosion problem inside the radiators depending on if the
nipples are steel or malleable iron.

Do not be tempted to remove these radiators for cleaning/
sandblasting ,there is a strong possibility they will leak if the
nipples are steel (and therefore corroded). *The chances of fixing it
if it leaks are small/expensive. *Trying to dissemble one of these is
very difficult by now. (corrosion)

If you want to get the paint off, use a chemical paint stripper
leaving the radiator in situ. *It is not an easy job.

I am not sure about the screw, it may be part of the manufacturing
process.

There are some sectional boilers made with cast iron sections, some
have press fit nipples. They are assembled with long steel rods to
pull them together. I have never seen radiators made by such a process
but I *suppose it's possible.- Hide quoted text -

You forgot the part about telling them to reduce the
water flow through this heat exchanger to the minimum
possible, the air flow too, per your screwy theories about
how radiators and heat exchangers work.

I say he gets the most heat out with the valve wide open
and the most airflow possible over the radiator.- Hide quoted text -

If his radiator valve is almost shut, the return water to the boiler
will indeed be much cooler, so making the boiler slightly more
efficient.

And the room will be cooler too, fruitcake.

Less heat will be let out from the radiator but that is why the valve
was turned down dolt.

It depends on how primitive his boiler is. *You Yanks make the most
awful stuff.- Hide quoted text -