Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Harbor Freight ceramic kitchen knives--who is guilty among us? (raises hand)

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 17:01:28 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I have already heard that one requirement of these knives is that they
cannot be stored where they will rattle around with anything else (that
is, in the drawer with most of the other knives) since the edge will
chip easily. Also you can't pry with them or strike anything hard.

Mine broke when I tried to cut a sweet potato one-handed. It cut
halfway through, paused, and then went through quickly, right into the
plastic cutting board at 100mph. My 6" chef's knife was left in two
pieces, the entire blade and the handle with the small tang in the
end. Broke my heart, it did.

You can "fix" that by gluing a grip made from wood to the last inch or
so of the blade.

Its a bit shorter..but works well enough. I did that with a couple
pieces of walnut and super glue. Still holding up fine 5 yrs later

Gunner

Gunner Asch