Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
Jim Thompson[_3_] Jim Thompson[_3_] is offline

Default Abate Holding Your Breath...Thompson's Design

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 13:46:47 -0500, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

And you're still clueless about why the dynamo won't work into an
auto-transformer.

Oh, and I'm curious about this dynamo vs alternator issue.

Sort of interchangeable terms, but dynamos typically have permanent
magnet "fields", while "alternator" usually means a field made up of a
winding.

Some people have
said these things generate AC.

Yes. In automotive and some bicycle uses, followed by rectifiers.

If none of us have tested one, maybe we
should assume the worst.

Depends on your definition of "worst" :-)

Is that the only reason you oppose the use of a transformer? You might have
said so with less fuss.

I don't oppose the use of a transformer. Originally I thought
Larkin's idea was a good idea... that's why I tested it... it would be
an all-around easier device to regulate... but it fails, and I said
so, and have been castigated for it.

Assuming the worst, I'd think to use a full wave bridge and no transformer.

Yep. Full-wave bridge, no transformer, chased by an off-the-shelf
LiIon 3V charger chip to easily get the battery management (rolling
your own would take too many chips... I did my first LiIon
charge-discharge controller for CalMicro so long ago, pre-CAD, that I
only have paper schematics :-), LED lighting... add input regulation
to avoid over-voltage into the charger chip... at 3V it should be
_really_ simple.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |