Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How far could a golf ball be propelled at STP?

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 21:34:20 -0800, beryl wrote:

On 01/17/2012 08:54 PM, jk wrote:

I am a little surprised that no one mentioned the other side of the
thing. The "equal and opposite reaction" thing. It's going to drive
the "club " head backwards. Better be really holding on to the damn
thing. Essentially this is a gun at right angle to, and on the end
of, a yard long stick. That's going to be a bitch to control.

Better would be a similar club that you swung, but that fired on
contact.

The club will come to an instant stop, and hurt your arm.

Not necessarily. It depends on the weight of the club and its swing
velocity versus the charge impulse and iplate weight. In fact..unless
it was a huge charge and a big assed plate..I doubt it would even stop
the club.

How about... place the explosive charge on the *back* side of the club
head, so that the head is driven into the ball.

Gunner Asch