Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Mold remediation

"Evan" wrote in message
On Jan 17, 11:43 am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Jan 17, 5:20 am, "Robert Green" wrote:

What is the best way to clean up mold? My shed developed a leak and
everything inside is now covered with a greenish, powdery mold. I've
patched up the leak and started wiping down things with rags moistened

with
Clorox. When that's done, I wonder what else I should do. I have a
portable dehumidifier, a space heater and some powerful fans. I recall
seeing (here I think) that I should acquire a UV device to kill any

remain
spores.

Any and all ideas appreciated.

--
Bobby G.

Rather than just wipe the surface with Clorox, I would apply it using
a sprayer of some type to actually get the Clorox to penetrate into
the wood grain a little bit.

+1...

Never use a portable anything in a mold contaminated area which
you ever intend to use or store inside your house ever again...

Now that the car's involved (see other msg), I need solutions geared to
automobile demolding. I've actually found a discouraging busload of
information and many firms that do this professionally. Sunroofs appear to
do a lot of damage. I am glad the van doesn't have one. This car saw very
rough service - never garaged and parked under a mulberry tree. Also has
VERY - no make that ridiculously - hard to clear drain tubing that snaked,
inaccessibly through the body of the car where it exited to whizz on the
car's tire and often plugged with goop right there.

All you would be doing by that is spreading the various mold spores inside
which you never want to do

I have a space heater I could donate to the project. If high heat and
dryness kills them, then I can either toss or decontaminate the heater.

If you really want to get rid of the mold, spray it down with a strong
beach solution like others have said during a long dry weather period --
allow it to dry out completely then use a Kilz type primer paint to
encapsulate whatever mold you were not able to kill...

Sounds like a plan for the shed - although SWMBO, the "travel light" ex-Army
brat has placed her vote for the demolishment of the shed. That could be
the eventual fate of the now-moldy shed which was built against the fence by
a neighbor's son-in-law, replacing an older shed that was built that way -
too close to the line for code although I was too young and dumb to know it
at the time. It turns out that nothing in there is really worth saving and
there's critters under there, too! Demolishment using masks and hoodies
that go right in the hot water heavy duty washer cycle is sounding better
and better.

The car probably should go, too. Twenty years is good enough use.
Obviously I don't drive it enough to warrant happening or I would have
noticed the leak before it molded out. But on occasion having two cars is a
*very good thing.* Another good things about breaking down the shed is that
our tax assessment will drop.

Decisions, decisions. Drying out the car is number one - clearing the drain
number two and maybe even taping down some clear plastic overlapping the
sunroof is in order.

Thank for your suggestions, Evan. Outside I go with a space heater,
wireless thermometer sender and a very heavy duty extension cord to begin
the drying out process.

--
Bobby G.