Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Quick recommendation: What tool for one-time cutting of inch-thick sandstone paving stones?

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:57:22 +0000 (UTC), Chuck Banshee
wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 11:02:38 -0800, Oren wrote:

We call this Flagstone in my area.

OK. I'll call it flagstone!

See this video for tips: (but use safety glasses)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05uTflMbWBs

Now that was interesting!

His brown (sand?) stone looks exactly the same as mine.
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7364581.gif

The scoring was trivial! He took his rock chisel and simply scratched a
line. Just one line. That was it. It wasn't even a complete line. I'm
amazed that 'thin' scratched line did anything!

The "scoring" was just to mark a straight line.
Could have used a pencil.
It was hammering the chisel that did the work.
And notice the rough edges after the break-off.
So don't expect clean edges with this method.

I wonder if that will work for circles (to make the sprinkler head fit)?
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/7364584.gif

No.

--Vic