Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: SawStop

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:42:12 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 06:51:07 -0600, Leon wrote:

I doubt any of them are actually being used in any serious wood fab
shops. I could false trip that junk ******* in less than an hour.

You would be wrong to doubt that. Google to find comments from
commercial shop owners.

Indeed. I know of one local commercial cabinet shop that had over 10 of
them the last time I talked to them about 3 years ago. They probably
have more by now.

Their employees do repetitive work all day and get careless. According
to their equipment maintenance guy, he replaces a SawStop cartridge about
once a month. According to him, they've paid for the saws many times in
reduced Workmans Comp claims.

What did he say about cost of damaged blades, hmmm?

OTOH, I agree with those who object to the maker pushing for a law
requiring the use of his invention. Maybe we should push for one making
the technique public domain in the interest of public safety :-).

If it becomes law, the invention should be sequestered by the gov't.
lest the speaking weasel's invention become a monopoly.

--
The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which
it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold.