Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default O/T: SawStop

On 1/17/12 12:23 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/17/2012 8:47 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 06:07:03 -0500, Ed wrote:

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 22:19:08 -0600, Steve Barker
wrote:

On 1/16/2012 8:59 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Great. I think the saw is an excellent tool, and has a very good
chance
of saving more than a finger.

Glad to hear that it is working and not firing off randomly has many
surmise.

I doubt any of them are actually being used in any serious wood fab
shops. I could false trip that junk ******* in less than an hour.

Actually, they are. Our Workman's Comp insurance carrier is
advocating their use and has managed to get a few places to switch to
them. Talking to the guy that visits our plant, he told me on one
instance of a trip where it saved a serious injury.

What kind of premium reduction are they giving for doing so?

I'm sure you can make it false trip, but I'm sure if you were serious
about its use, you'd also prevent that from happening. I bet you can
make your airbags go off too.

I once saw a movie where a gangbanger was walking down the street,
hitting front bumpers with a tubafore and setting off all the airbags
and car alarms. That's probably as expensive as keying the paint.

Yeah, that was a "Movie". Typically bumpers have got to be slid back to
compress the airbag switch.

I don't think the bumpers have anything to do with the system.
I think they all have inertia sensors (as another poster stated).

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--