Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Which circuit?

On 1/16/2012 6:04 PM, Tegger wrote:
wrote in :

My range hood vent died recently so I decided to replace it.
BUT the circuits in the breaker box are poorly marked.
Just want to know if I am correct inassuming the 240 volts to the stove
would not normally be somehow split to power the 120 volt range hood.
Any hints on the project?

As stated by RBM, the range light will most likely be on the same circuit
as the kitchen lights.

The stove is on its own breaker, as will be the dryer, and other high-draw
appliances. Since the stove is a 240V appliance, there may be two breakers
linked together with a crossbar (I say "may" because I'm not an electrical
expert, and I'm guessing that it's possible that some houses may have
single-switched 240V breakers).

Here's a tip for a one-time reconciliation of lights& breakers throughout
the house:
1) turn on all the lights in the entire house;
2) trip one of the single breakers;
3) walk around and see what turned off;
4) write down the relevant info next to that breaker.
Repeat from #2 with the next breaker.

Use a desk-lamp, drill, night-light, or other small electrical device to
check the outlets to see if they're on the same circuit as the lights.

Next time you need to shut off a specific circuit, you'll know exactly
which breaker to trip.

A table radio tuned to a Hip Hop station and the audio wide open gives
you an incentive to quickly find the breaker that turns it off. ^_^

TDD