Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Which circuit?

On 1/16/2012 4:48 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 16:23:12 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 1/16/2012 3:59 PM, LouB wrote:
My range hood vent died recently so I decided to replace it.
BUT the circuits in the breaker box are poorly marked.
Just want to know if I am correct inassuming the 240 volts to the stove
would not normally be somehow split to power the 120 volt range hood.
Any hints on the project?

Tia

Lou

I often use The Jesus method to find breakers. You take a plug with a
couple of lengths of insulated wire sticking out about a foot then strip
a half inch of insulation off the ends of the wires then plug it in
making sure the wires don't touch, yet. Hold the wires apart, turn your
head, close your eyes, touch the two ends of the bare wire together and
shout "JESUS!" during the resulting flash and small explosion. It's also
a good way to test your circuit breakers. ^_^

TDD

Does Jesus come and help?

No, it's NOT connected to the 240v. Either the light circuit or a
nearby outlet.

If the light works in it, turn on the light and shut off breakers till
it goes off.

Otherwise just shut off the house MAIN, disonnect the two wires beneath
a small panel (look for a screw on a panel). Then cap the wires coming
from the wall, and turn the power back on. If you want, before capping
them, put a tester on those wires and turn on the power MAIN. Then turn
off each breaker one by one till you find the one for that hood.

That's when you shut off the breaker and cap those wires till you repair
or replace the hood.

I forgot, you can get a light bulb socket adapter to plug in your two
prong electrical plug. ^_^

TDD