Posted to alt.home.repair
Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds is offline

Default California to slay the vampire

In article ,
" wrote:

Imagine how low the price of electricity would be in Texas if they were as
diligent about conservation as California

You mean like how getting 2x the mileage now on cars that we used to get
brought us low gas prices?

California doesn't control the world supply of oil nor does it control world
demand nor even the speculators that benefit from high oil prices.

Not that I'm against conserving where it makes sense, just that to think
conservartion equals low electricity prices doesn't equate.

For as long as I can remember, that hasn't been the case. Negawatts are almost
always cheaper than megawatts and the case here has been more about cost
avoidance (when the power companies were given cost plus guarantees for their
rates and thus were de-incentivised to be efficient) and environmental
concerns.

For example, if CA has conserved so much, and knows so much, why do they have
the highest electricity rates in the country?

they don't, not even close: http://www.kaec.org/images/stand/0607_RateMap.pdf

I guess that's what ticks me off about this whole thing. You have a state
that is the most screwed in the country trying to force companies, and hence
the rest of us, into doing things their way.

no one is forcing you to be energy efficient. there are more than enough choices
out there for you to be in hog heaven and you won't break a single law