Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Heat wont come on after running out of oil

On 1/16/2012 3:24 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 13:31:51 -0600,
wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 22:03:32 -0500, wrote:

The pictures show the two pumps as well. They are Taco cartridge pumps
so they don't have couplings. There is little to no chance that they
would simultaneously break, so I'd say it's likely that the freeze up
theory or air bound system is likely. There is no picture of the piping
for the two zones, but it's entirely possible that it uses a split
system, one with two feeds, that return on a single pipe. If that's the
case, one freeze up on the return, takes out both zones.

Once again, please repost the photo URL.

I'm not familiar with Taco pumps, but they are not on the menu at Taco
Bell

Actually, both pumps could break if they froze up. It's more likely the
pipes froze in the walls, esp any on outside walls. If this is
possible, the OP should rent a torpedo heater and run it for awhile to
get the house up to around 80deg. Of course there could be unwanted
surprises as things thaw out, such as broken pipes. So he should be
prepared to shut down the water inlet and pumps.

Not sure why there would be an air-lock just because the boiler was
cold, but anything is possible. The only other option is to take some
pipes apart on both the outlet and inlet sides and check for flow. I
think I'd opt to rent a portable heater first if there is any chance of
frozen pipes.

Has anyone confirmed the zone control valves are moving?????

There are no zone valves on this system. Just circulator pumps