Posted to alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_3_] chaniarts[_3_] is offline

Default Digital Replacements for Fried TVs and VCR

On 1/16/2012 11:19 AM, wrote:
On Jan 16, 11:49 am, wrote:
On 1/15/2012 6:45 PM, Jules Richardson wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 16:38:28 -0500, Tomsic wrote:
The VCR worked great; but it doesn't make sense to use tape any more.

Why not? I mean, if it didn't do what they needed, or supplies (i.e.
tapes) were hard to get hold of, then OK - but you say it worked great,
so I assume neither of those were a problem (otherwise it wouldn't be
great :-)

i believe i read some time ago that the last vhs tape manufacturing
plant stopped producing new tapes.

I find that very hard to believe.

you should try to believe 2 impossible things before breakfast. to wit:

Los Angeles Times Articles

VHS era is winding down
The last big supplier of the tapes is ditching the format, ending the
long fade-out of a product that ushered in the home theater.

December 22, 2008 Geoff Boucher

Pop culture is finally hitting the eject button on the VHS tape, the
once ubiquitous home video format that will finish this month as a
creaky ghost of Christmas past.

After three decades of steady if unspectacular service, the spinning
wheels of the home entertainment stalwart are slowing to a halt at
retail outlets. On a crisp Friday morning in October, the final
truckload of VHS tapes rolled out of a Palm Harbor, Fla., warehouse run
by Ryan J. Kugler, the last major supplier of the tapes.