Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heat wont come on after running out of oil

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 20:44:58 -0600, wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 20:48:51 -0500, RBM wrote:

What do you mean when you said "you ran the hot water"? Are you
saying you also get your hot water from the faucets from this furnace?

Yes, it's called a domestic coil. It sits in the water jacket. Cold
water goes in, around the coil, and comes out hot. Then it gets tempered
through a mixing valve. It's in the picture behind the gray box.

Where are you seeing a picture of this system? If a link was posted,
it never showed up here.

While the concept of this makes sense during the heating season, I'd
hate to have to run the boiler in the summer just to get hot water
from the faucets. (Or do they use another water heater that time of
year, or have electric heating elements in the system).

More details and explaination needed....
Describe what you have.....
Is this a zone system, or just one for the whole house?

He has two heating zones, hence the two circulators

So, if he has two zones, that should indicate that he has two
circulator pumps. I highly doubt both of them went bad at the same
time. Otherwise I suspected a bad motor to pump coupler, since he
indicated that a pump motor(s) is heard running.
I'm still thinking something froze when the heat was off. Of course
if the pumps got ice in them, both couplers could be broke. The
motors will bust those couplers if the pumps cant turn from ice.

Please - Repost that link to the photos.

Friend's house has 6 zones, and only one pump.