Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default How far could a golf ball be propelled at STP?

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 20:46:00 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

Rich Grise wrote in
:

[...]
And I wondered, why not a mile? A lot would depend on what kind of
propulsion you used, but I'm guessing the muzzle velocity would be
supersonic.

Neglecting all aerodynamic effects, I calculate that the minimum initial velocity would need to be
approximately 580 feet per second.\

Ok. But remember that you can't ignore the aerodynamic effects with a
golf ball. I'm sure you're aware of this, but some folks may not
realize that those little dimples have quite a large (positive)
effect.

--
Ed Huntress