Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cash Cash is offline

Default Wooden Sills with UPVC windows?

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 20:30:10 -0000, Cash wrote:

Ah, I didn't make that clear. It is the internal wooden sills we
would like to keep. One window company has said that they

wouldn't
fit UPVC window frames with existing wooden sills,

Don't use them then. They may have got confused ext v int cills. I
can see that fitting a new fram onto existing external timber would
be interesting.

I quite agree there, especially as the cill on a timber window usually
forms and integral part of the frame.

But fitting against existing wooden internal
shouldn't be a problem at all. The snags will be cuased by how easy
it is or isn't to seperate the old frame from the cill. If a window
is removed carefully there should be very little damage to the
internal cill and plaster.

A bigger problem is caused by the difference in sizes between timber and
UPVc materials.

A bit of filler will deal with the slight
gap between existing plaster and new frame. A bit of quadrant might
be required along the back edge of the cill but wood filler might be
better depending on the finish, varnished or painted.

I've tried using filler between plaster and frame but ulitmately ended
fitting small section, plastic architrave to hide the joint.

Remember to choose a company that's FENSA registered, otherwise you
will have to get the local council involved to issue the necessary
paperwork upon completion to say the job is OK.

FENSA or council BC only mean that the things fitted meet the
regulations nothing to do with the job being OK.

That's what I meant Dave as regards to the legal niceties (I should have
made that clearer) - as for defects in materials and workmanship, that's
another matter.

All interesting stuff, especially when you renew with UPVc, the old box
frame windows that sit behind the external wall (in the cavity) rather than
between the reveals.

Cash