Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Oil tank - how low to go

On Jan 15, 8:34*pm, (---MIKE---) wrote:
My oil tank holds 275 gallons and feeds from the bottom. *Every year I
add a gallon of diesel conditioner. *I would like to delay my next fill
until April 1st so I don't have to shovel a path for the oil man. *I
estimate that there will still be about 40 gallons left in the tank by
then. *Is this safe to do?

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

It's normal for fuel tanks to be installed to a slight incline.
Fuel is drawn from the tank bottom at the upper end. There is a drain
for water/condensate at the lower end.

The reason for additives is to prevent the fuel from waxing at low
temperatures. Wax crystals form and block filters and nozzles.
Winter grade fuel is normallly supplied with this already added.

A cheap additive is paraffin/kerosine. Can be added up tp 25%
depending on anticipated temperature.
The problem is that is has to be thoroughly mixed in and done before
waxing ocurrs.

http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_inte...l_problems.pdf