Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Heat wont come on after running out of oil

On 1/15/2012 6:28 PM, wrote:
On 15 Jan 2012 15:30:04 GMT, BMBM2home.com wrote:

Hello,

I ran out of oil. after filling the tank and bleeding the line the furnace
came on but it seems like its only coming on to heat the water. I get hot
water from the furnace. The baseboard heaters are barley getting warm. it
seem like the system is shutting down once water is hot but the temperature
in the house is as low as it can go on the thermostat. if i run the hot
water the furnace will come back on but stops soon after the hot water is
off. i turned both thermostats down all the way for about 10 mins then
back on and the furnace still wont come on from that. what could be the
problem.

thank you

I'm assuming you have hot water radiators in the house rather than
steam.

Do you have enough water in the system?

Are the pumps running? Maybe some reset tripped for those pumps when
the system shut down.

What do you mean when you said "you ran the hot water"? Are you
saying you also get your hot water from the faucets from this furnace?

Yes, it's called a domestic coil. It sits in the water jacket. Cold
water goes in, around the coil, and comes out hot. Then it gets tempered
through a mixing valve. It's in the picture behind the gray box.

More details and explaination needed....
Describe what you have.....
Is this a zone system, or just one for the whole house?

He has two heating zones, hence the two circulators

Of course check the obvious. Circuit breakers, reset buttons, water
level in system, are you getting flame in the firebox for the furnace?
Yea, you said you got hot water, but I'm thinking you have two
fireboxes, one for heat, one for hot water?????

One fire box, and one tank. Garden variety domestic boiler

Hey, I used to maintain a hot water heating boiler, for a huge
building (school), but when I read your posting, I'm totally confused
what you have????????

Without knowing more details, the thermostat should kick the pumps on.
Check pumps....

I'm assuming it dod not get cold enough to freeze up pipes and stuff.
otherwise you have a bigger problem. Ice in the system could do lots
of damage.