Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Oil tank - how low to go

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 16:29:58 -0500, Frank
wrote:

On 1/15/2012 4:00 PM, RBM wrote:
On 1/15/2012 3:34 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
My oil tank holds 275 gallons and feeds from the bottom. Every year I
add a gallon of diesel conditioner. I would like to delay my next fill
until April 1st so I don't have to shovel a path for the oil man. I
estimate that there will still be about 40 gallons left in the tank by
then. Is this safe to do?

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

When you say "feeds from the bottom" do you mean that the pipe comes off
of a tap on the bottom of the tank? Why are you adding conditioner?

Never heard of adding anything to mine either.

If you live where it goes below 0F, and your tank is outside, then it
is cheap insurance to add conditioner.

It probably saves a little abuse on the nozzle, too-- though I've
never had any trouble with mine. I change filters and nozzles every
2yrs [about 800 gallons of oil]. My supplier dumps a pint of
something in for every 100 gallons delivered.

to the OP-- In April 5 gallons will probably last you a week-- so you
can truck it in by hand if you have to. Keep a close eye on it-
running dry isn't good for your system.

Any sludge in the tank is at the bottom. It will get picked up
whether the tank is nearly empty or full.

Jim