Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default Digital Replacements for Fried TVs and VCR

On 1/15/2012 3:38 PM, Tomsic wrote:
So, lightning struck a friend's house recently and fried most of the
electronics inside including two TV sets, their digital converter boxes, a
telephone answering machine, VCR and a clock radio. One of the TVs is
fixed; the other was replaced with a flat screen type and we tossed the VCR.
It's time to convert to digital.

The question is how should we set up the system so my friend can record TV
shows when he wants. He likes to record shows late at night and when he's
not around and then play them back when he has time. The VCR worked great;
but it doesn't make sense to use tape any more. What black box should he
get to connect to the TV to do the recording that can be programmed to just
record and play back -- no cable, no subscriptions or extra monthly services
although I might convince him to get DSL internet service (he still uses
dial up).

TV recording/playback is the essential thing though.

Tomsic

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVDR35.../dp/B0013WM0BQ

--
Steve Barker