Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oil tank - how low to go

On Jan 15, 4:29*pm, Frank wrote:
On 1/15/2012 4:00 PM, RBM wrote:

On 1/15/2012 3:34 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
My oil tank holds 275 gallons and feeds from the bottom. Every year I
add a gallon of diesel conditioner. I would like to delay my next fill
until April 1st so I don't have to shovel a path for the oil man. I
estimate that there will still be about 40 gallons left in the tank by
then. Is this safe to do?

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

When you say "feeds from the bottom" do you mean that the pipe comes off
of a tap on the bottom of the tank? Why are you adding conditioner?

Never heard of adding anything to mine either.- Hide quoted text -

He's probably adding it to try to get rid of any water from
condensation and avoid it freezing. How much condenstation he may
get depends on where the tank is.
Outside with wide temp swings, it's a problem. In a
basement, no so much a problem. Letting the tank
go down to 40 gallons is probably OK especially if it
feeds directly off the botton of the tank. Would seem
whatever is on the bottom of the tank is getting sucked
in all the time anyway. He has a filter, right?