Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Elementary hydraulic questions

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 16:13:39 -0500, axolotl
wrote:

I brought home a Blackhawk "Porto Power" hydraulic hand pump with a set
of spreading jaws from yesterday's Cabin Fever. I would place the
manufacturing date as perhaps the 40's.
The rehab process brings up some questions:

The pump output port is connected to a 4" length of what appears to be
plain 3/8" iron pipe. This pipe connects to what appears to be a plain
iron union (?), with a reducing bushing for the hose on the other side
of the union. Are plain iron pipe fittings acceptable for high pressure
hydraulic use, or is this a kluge? (For my uses the pipe/union are
coming off.)

This style of pump is sold as a "10 Ton" pump. The piston on the jaws
appears to have an internal diameter of 1.5", so it would appear that I
would have to put 11000+ pounds of pressure on the fluid to get 10 Tons
at the piston. Pressure fittings and hoses for this use do not have that
high of a pressure rating. What am I missing?

thanks,

Kevin Gallimore

I don't know if things have changed since the 40s, but the usual pumps
and rams are rated for 10,000 psi.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ENE...480?Pid=search

The spreading jaws I'm familiar with are not rated for that much
pressure, but some may be.

You can buy 10,000 psi hose and quick connect fittings from Enerpac.
The hoses are expensive, the QDs aren't too bad. If you need other
fittings, McMaster should have hydraulic fittings rated to match, and
they carry generic QDs that are compatible with but less expensive
than Enerpac brand fittings.

--
Ned Simmons