Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default 2-way switching and Neutral as well!

Stephen H wrote:
On 15/01/2012 19:35, ARWadsworth wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 15/01/2012 16:31, PeterC wrote:
After asking about running Neutral to a switch I decided to put
both lights on to 2-way. Looked for diagrams - although the
circuits aren't complex, the colours seem to be variable. The only
tip I had was from Adam re. using incoming grey as Neutral.
Looked at several diagrams that I found and most of them, including
the Wiki, are using the old colours.

Which wiki were you looking in? Ours uses new colours:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?..._Way_Switching

I also want to run the supply and both lights from one switch and
almost all digrams show one light from each switch.
Anyway, I've done a diagram in LibreOffice Draw (couldn't quickly
find any Freeware for the purpose) and have put it up as a .png. I
think that the wires aren't crossed and that the colours are OK,
but...! http://tinypic.com/r/2ntlnpt/5

If you visualise the "landing light" at the other switch, then it
looks close to being a functional equal to:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/5/5...itchingSml.gif

with the exception you have shared a permanent live strapper...

But the circuit looks fine. It is unconventional as you would
normally use two 3 core and earth cables between the switches, but
that is not a rule. I have done similar installs where I was passing
the cables through existing conduit that would not take 2 x 3 core
and earth cables and there had to be no damage to the downstairs
walls.

I have a query regarding lighting....

in my house, the hall light is powered from the downstairs lighting
MCB at the CU. The landing light is powered from the Upstairs
lighting MCB at the CU. I have at both the landing and the hall 2
gang 2 way switches, allowing me to control both lights from both
locations.
Is that still allowed within the wiring regs as there is no physical
separation between the two lighting circuits within the metal back
boxes?

The answer is a very simple "YES, it is allowed".

You will not be the first or last to ask that one:-)

--
Adam