Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.wireless
Chuck Banshee Chuck Banshee is offline

Default After all that - I just realized the Nintendo Wii doesn't havean ethernet port!

On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 18:48:35 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Turn off the DHCP server, RIP2, and Plug-N-Pray.

Hi Jeff,
I read 'all' the quoted references (see reference section at bottom).
I'm sure I'll still make mistakes, but, here is my second draft of the
plan (mostly for Jim Elbrecht & anyone else who has never done this but
who has Linksys equipment), for review, for setting up a second Linksys
WRT54G router as an access point in a typical home setting:

Write down the primary router information (note 1' === primary):
a) SSID, security, & passphrase (e.g., WRT54G-1, WPA2/AES, & 'foobar')
b) IP address (e.g., 192.168.1.1)
c) DHCP range (e.g., 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.100)
d) Channel (e.g., channel 1)
e) All subnet masks for both routers are assumed to be 255.255.255.0

Set up your secondary router (note 2' === secondary):
a) Temporarily connect a cable from your PC to the 2' router LAN port
b) Set your PC IP address to the same subnet as the 2' router
- Linux: ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2
- Windows: http://tinyurl.com/7ppzy7h (i.e., obtain an IP address
automatically & release/renew with "ipconfig")
c) Log into the 2' router default IP address (e.g., http://192.168.1.1)
d) Give the 2' router an unused IP address in the same subnet as the 1'
router DHCP range, but above or below (i.e., "outside") the range of the
1' router (e.g., 192.168.1.200)
e) Turn off DHCP serving (i.e., let the 1' router assign all IP
addresses!)'
f) Turn off RIP or RIP2 if that option exists.
g) Turn off Universal Plug-N-Play (UPnP) support, if that option exists.
h) It's best to set up the 2' router with a different SSID (e.g.,
WRT54G-2) but the same case-sensitive SSID 'can' be used.
i) It's best to allow broadcasting of your 2' router SSID
j) It's best to use the same encryption & passphrase in the 2' router as
in the 1' router (e.g., WPA2/AES, & 'foobar')
k) Choose a channel with good separation between the 1' and 2' router
(e.g., if the 1' router is on channel 1, put the 2' router on channel 6
or 11)
l) Unplug the PC from the 2' router (which is now configured as an access
point)

Hook up the 2' router as the access point downstairs:
a) Don't plug anything into the 2' router's WAN port!
b) Plug the cable from the wall jack to a LAN port on the 2' router
c) Technically, you need a crossover cable to connect the 1' router to
the 2' router but most routers support auto-crossover (MDI/MDI-X)

Test the newly set up access point by wi
a) Connect the PC by cable to a LAN port of the 2'router
b) If you're not immediately connected, reboot routers & PCs in that order
c) If still not connected, doublecheck the PC IP address is on the same
subnet (see prior instructions above)

Test the newly set up access point by wireless:
a) Disconnect the PC from the 2' router LAN port
b) In wireless networking, search for & select the broadcast SSID
c) Enter the 2' router passphrase and you should be connected wirelesssly!