Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Power Vent water heater questions...

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 23:09:57 -0500, The wrote:

Just had a new furnace installed and now looking at replacing the
water heater so I can eliminate the need for a chimney.

Current water heater is 50 US gal flue/chimney vent type. It's only 9
years old. It's rented at $14 a month. No idea what the efficiency
factor is.

14 x 84 = $1176.

Possible replacement is a 40 US gal power vent, rental, for $22
dollars a month or a 50 US gal for $23 a month. Efficiency factor I'm
told is .67

22 x 84 = $1848

Because my small town has very hard water, I'm keen to rent only and
not buy.

Rental terms are 7 years so that is an 8 dollar a month increase over
84 months.

8 x 84 = $672

A direct vent can be bought for about $850US. If you have it
installed, maybe another $200 sot that eats up the rebate.

I'm amazed that you are worried about the cost saving and payback, yet
you **** away a thousand dollars by renting. If you water has rock in
it, it will probably outlast the 7 year rental costs and you put 1000
bucks in your pocket. Use that money to buy a water softener if that
is your concern.

I'm thinking that I should install your heater and let you rent from
me. Great profit to be had!

Hmmmm,
Very mind boggling!!!!!!