Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jo Jo is offline

Default Wooden Sills with UPVC windows?

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 15/01/2012 14:14, Jo wrote:
We are (sadly) having to renew the windows in our 1920s property. There
are
currently wooden sills in good condition in the house and we would prefer
keep these if possible when the new windows are installed.
Has anyone had any experience of fitting new UPVC windows with existing
sills?

Not sure whether you're talking about the external or internal sills. The
new windows will be supplied with external sills, which sit on the
brickwork immediately under the frame.

If the internal sills are in good condition, leave them in situ and simply
butt the new frames against them - with maybe a bit of quartering to cover
any slight gaps. Great care will be needed to avoid damaging the internal
sills when the old frames are removed. The sills may well have a step near
the outer edge, with the thin bit fitting into a groove in the wooden
frame. If you're not very careful, this will break off and may well split
the sill further in. If the stepped bit doesn't break off, it will
probably need trimming off to allow the new frame to occupy the same space
as the old one.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Ah, I didn't make that clear. It is the internal wooden sills we would like
to keep. One window company has said that they wouldn't fit UPVC window
frames with existing wooden sills, but others say different!
We have red tiled outer sills which we have been told can stay.
Knowing nothing at all about windows it's all a bit daunting!

However, thanks for your comments. Much appreciated.

Jo