Posted to alt.home.repair
Pin[_2_] Pin[_2_] is offline

Default New Years Resolution: Harvest compost in an arid climate by the summer?

"beecrofter" wrote in message
The fastest composts are made from a mix of materials having a carbon
to nitrogen ratio of 30:1, kept moist as a wet but not dripping
sponge, and chopped up to provide more surface area for the process.
As soon as the center of the pile cools turn the outside to the
center.
Meat in quantity can create problems but a little here and there is no
big deal other than attracting a few scavengers.
Anything that does not break down the first time through can be sifted
out and added to the next pile.

In which way the meat can cause a problem beside attracting small rodents
which in my case is not a problem? After I harvest the tomatoes in autumn, I
just empty the barrel and spread the material in the garden without being
composted. Living in Canada, the material I put in the barrel while the
winter season is frozen by the cold. In the spring, I empty it again then
turn the soil and when I plant the tomatoes, the material is not even
composted yet but it does not cause any problem so far. Being spread in the
garden, it decomposes a lot faster.

Pin