Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default AC Adapter Plague

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 07:00:34 -0600, "Mark Zacharias"
wrote:

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 19:31:42 -0600, "Mark Zacharias"
wrote:

Many of the newer ones are small switchers and die after 15 months or so.
Mark Z.

I just crack them open, replace the usual bulging electrolytic, and
live happily ever after.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/repair/2Wire-power-supply.jpg
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/repair/2Wire-power-supplies.jpg
The biggest problem is opening the plastic case. Sometimes, it's easy
(using a bench vise). Other times, it's impossible.

Yeah - I know. Still a pain.
mz

I feel your pain. I feel more pain when I throw away something that
can be repaired. When I visit the local recycler, I'm often shocked
at all the easily repairable stuff that gets tossed.

One method I like is to use a mason's chisel. I place it along the
glue line and LIGHTLY tap the chisel with a hammer. The glue joint is
quite brittle. With luck, you'll hear it crack open. If that fails,
a hack saw will always work. However, that's a mess to re-glue, and I
have to cover the damage with some decorative trim tape.

Here is a tiny table saw that would give you a fixed depth & straight
cut:

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-mighty-mite-table-saw-93211.html