Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Component level repair and desoldering

John Rumm formulated on Friday :
I was toying with doing a wiki article on component level repair of
electronic stuff, since there seems to be so much otherwise decent kit that
dies these days for silly reasons like failing capacitors etc.

I was wondering what suggestions those of you who do this daily had to offer?

One of my favourite techniques for de-soldering, where the PCB will
allow it, is to heat up the solder joint and then quickly give the PCB
a sharp rap on the edge of the bench. Inertia then causes the hot
solder to keep going and which then leaves the component lead free to
be removed.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)