Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Brass in cooking???

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 15:51:13 -0800 (PST), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

Hi All,

I want to make some spare rotisserie rods and wondered if I can use
square brass rods. Since they pass through and are in contact with the
meat the entire cook time, I do not want to kill off the family with
heavy-metal poisoning.

Any idea where I can get some valid safety information on using brass?
I know I could get stainless, but I have about 20 pieces of 1/4"
square brass in lengths from about 18" to 26" which would do just
fine.

Dave

Some brasses have lead in them. Suppose your brass does. I don't think
any meat you you might cook is very acidic so there would probably be
very little lead leached out. But who knows? Young children are very
sensitive to lead poisoning, the developing brain is especially
subject to damage from lead. Adults are way more tolerant to lead
exposure. What may be more of a problem is that a bad metallic taste
may end up spoiling the meat's taste. I can't think of any brass
cookware except for some tourist trinkets from India. And the stuff I
saw from India (teapots and the like) were soldered with lead bearing
solder, so any lead from the brass would be secondary to the solder.
If it was me I'd save the brass for something else and just hit the
thrift store for some rotisserie rods. In fact, that's where I got my
Farberware countertop rotisserie. In like new condition with all the
attachments for 15 bucks.
Eric