Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default Thread mills

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 16:01:25 -0500, Randy333
wrote:

I need to do some thread milling, never did it before!! I need to cut
2- 1-1/4"-11.5 NPS exteranl threads, a 1-3/4"-16 external and a
1-7/8"-18 internal thread.

I found a thread mill for 11.5 NPS but in the catalog it's listed as
internal only, why? Any place I can get this at under $300 bucks that
MSC wants?

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

====================
If these are one off you may consider a single point tool or
boring bar with formed cutter. Slow machining but cheap
tooling. Should also be good for special profile threads
like stub acme or buttress.

See

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist....p?topic=9964.0

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...d_milling.html

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...source-151206/

and a bunch more. Google on single-point "thread milling"
for 55.8k hits.

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"