Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Component level repair and desoldering

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 23:47:55 +0000, Theo Markettos wrote:

John Rumm wrote:
I was wondering what suggestions those of you who do this daily had to
offer?

Hot air. It makes it hugely easier. There are relatively cheap hot air
stations around... go to certain backstreets of cities in the
developing world and you can see people doing component level service on
recent TVs etc there.

Not tried but, for example:
http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/zd-9...ir-smd-rework-

station/dp/SD01139
(I'm not sure I believe the listed temperature of '150' there)

You don't need dozens of tips for each and every package, but just some
narrow tips and some broad (square) ones will do. Having more heat can
be handy for the broader tips. Vacuum is nice, but really not
essential. A hotplate can be handy for preheat.

Any recommendations for hotplates (DIY or OTS)?

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org