Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oil filter change in old car - how often?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I thought they had fully independent, not swing axle...

Swing axle is fully independant. One wheel can move without the other.

The Imp rear suspension is semi trailing arm - just swing axle turned
round a bit.

No- swing axle means that the wheel is bolted hard to an axle that swings.

Not an arm that swings, The imp rear suspension is not swing axle. The
wheel has a UJ between itself and the axle. That makes it fully
independent rear suspension in the parlance.

The front IS 'swing axle' however. except there are no axles as such..

The definitive feature of swing axle is that the wheel changes camber
under loading. The definitive feature of fully independent dual wishbone
or trailing arm is that it doesn't, or does so by design.

Mc McPherson struts are somewhat between the two.

Solid beam axles are another case entirely.They don't change camber but
carry high unsprung weight and a lot of inter axle coupling,.

I suggest you do more research before opening your mouth.