Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default Update on cleaing Astralux-type kitchen sinks

On Jan 13, 7:39*am, MM wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 11:14:31 -0800 (PST), NT
wrote:

On Jan 12, 7:00*pm, MM wrote:
In 2005 I complained about my Astralux kitchen sink in my new house
and the hard job it is getting it clean, compared to stainless steel,
ceramic or enamel.

On Saturday I happened to see a new product in Wilkinson called
Astonish Oven and Cookware Cleaner. This is a mildy abrasive paste in
a tub, not unlike the stuff I once used to lap in valves. But it is
the *first* cleaning product that actually works on the sink to remove
the really stubborn stains! I actually purchased the product for
cleaning stainless steel pots and pans, then I thought I'd just try a
little on the sink, with one of those rough scouring pads (not Brillo
pads!) and it's ruddy hard work, but there *is* a definite
improvement.

MM

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...s#Coated_steel

Interesting. Bleach, however, made no impact whatsoever. I tried
liberally coating the horizontal 'draining board' section and leaving
it for a few hours. Stains still there. The stains are usually minute
brown flecks, almost like rust spots. The paste gets rid of them,
though! But you have to rub REALLY hard!

As for the 'biological washing powder paste' suggestion, now that is a
new one on me and could well work. I'll give it a go.

The basic problem is the ruddy material! Half the houses in our road
have replaced their sinks with stainless steel or ceramic ones, these
Astralux ones are SO crap.

MM

A lor of people say that. But once you get it clean and then use the
right chemicals, they're actually not hard to keep clean.

I would definitely caution against _any_ rubbing really hard. Astralux
is plastic coated steel, plastics are fairly soft, and anything other
than gentle treatment roughens the surface, making it harder to clean.
You need to rely entirely on getting the rigiht chemical for whatever
the dirt is.

NT