Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_3_] Jim K[_3_] is offline

Default Taking a slice off the top of a joist

On Jan 12, 2:54 pm, "Man at B&Q" wrote:
On Jan 12, 7:36 am, harry wrote:

I have seen plenty of excessively notched out joists (even from one
end of a room to another) but never seen one actually break as a
result.
The floor just becomes springy.
The cure being to bolt doublers on the sides with glue and/or timber
connectors.
Timber floors are massively over engineered. They are sized to
prevent excessive deflection rather than actual failure as is a lot of
building material.
I wouldn't have thought that 20mm off a single joist would make a lot
of differerence.

And it's an old property, probably even more over engineered as they
didn't have the skills to cut everything to the bone like we do today.

MBQ

I agree, plus if the OP felt the need, could "the planed one" be
braced by extra "noggins" to neighbouriing joists perhaps using joist
hangers etc ??

Jim K